PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Backtracking?
Thread: Backtracking?
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2005, 09:36
AlanM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should never be instructed to do any speed inside 6dme at LCY.

However, Overeasy, you say you were "asked" to maintain that speed. You were asked if you could - not instructed to do so. I don't know what you fly or who asked you, but some pilots DO 200kts until 5 miles of there own volition. I trust you said "no" and that was the end of the matter?

As for visits.... the number of visitors I have known by LCY operating pilots to Thames Radar either since we were at LHR tower or now at LTCC is NONE. Simple as that. The number of Fam flights we get offered is minimal (I went to MAN with VLM this year though after an offer - but VLM are the only airline to allow this)

Yes, the operators should meet ATC (Twr and Radar which are two seperate units) - anyone want to arrange a date?

The fact is of course that LCY is becoming busier and busier at the peak times. This means that there will be less LAM releases saving crews 45 track miles and more traffic orbitting at SPEAR and LYDD.

Despite what you may think, ATCOs do worry about safety, but we are also paid to shift as much traffic as possible for the airport authority. If you are asked to expedite then do so as fast as you can safely do. Every tower controller I know (and I got caught once) who offered an "are you ready immediate" or "expedite backtrack" has ended up with a go around.

We have always given extra spacing for DHC8Ds in or out depending on runway - BRT 146s should be given the same extra gap?