PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR down near Palermo (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2005, 08:51
too much toulouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lem I begin to understand now

It is so true that if it is possible for someone to do it wrong then sooner or later it happens. If it is possible to fit the wrong gauge then sooner or later it will be done. I have flown ATR72-200 from Bari to Palermo. Because of the Taranto military bases to the south the route then (probably no different now) was to take a TOPNO or GIOIA departure and be at ToC before or at LUNAR. A rough and ready howgozit is 190 miles to waypoint AMANO in 45 mins using fuel at 11.5kg/min when the flight experienced first difficulty. Palermo LICJ is the nearest at 82 miles. If the aircraft is almost dry of fuel she cannot have much more than 520kg aboard at Bari and the weight now is only 16 tonnes. Can I glide?

You may calculate with me but if the drag equation is Cd = 0.023 + CL^2/32.42 (and I believe this to be so) this is giving a L/D of 15.75 closely for my 16 tonnes. Without power the pilots have their plane of descent described no better than D/L and it shows indeed where in the largo of Palermo it is to be the end. The explanation fits the facts and the evidence. This explains what happened but why is sad beyond all measure.

I notice that Flight International has a mistake. Quotes second engine stops at passing 7000ft after 3-4 minutes behind the first. It means 17000ft. This is a well controlled emergency descent.

Mercy on us all that it should be so possible after so many times in the past that the wrong component can be fitted. How many times before we learn?

But when I tell you that for us small guys it is push, push, push, be quick, the other guy can do so why not you? Would I ever be so foolish on my uplift and howgozit? My friend if you keep pushing me then I too will maybe one day be making some mistake too.

My words are not enough,

Read my name

too much toulouse and too much to lose