PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta & Northwest file for Chapter 11
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2005, 04:46
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Question

I have no friends with Delta, and at Yahoo Airline News, an analyst today stated that:

1) The biggest problem at NWA concerns their pension obligations (Congress might give some relief, spreading it over many years).

2) But based on my reading and some dialogue, Northwest's inspirational "leader", Mr. Doug Steenland, stated that labor is the biggest problem. As for leadership, did General Patton tell his troops many times during WW2 that the troops were the problem? Is that leadership?
JetBlue's CEO might earn about $400,000 this year.
Northwest's Steenland, about $4,000,000, based on a business article somewhere (where did those extra 0s come from?).

Leader$hip by Example.

During the 70s and 80s, the Northwest CEO, a "gentleman" named Nyrop, looked forward to provoking NWA unions into a strike-hard to believe, is it not? Well, "his" airline made more money during a strike. Why? There was a reserve money fund which many airlines contribited to. With a serious problem, a company was allowed to pull out heaps of cash from this Mutual Aid Pact. After Nyrop converted Northwest into Cobra Airlines, the other airlines DISSOLVED the M.A.P., because of CEO Nyrop's cynical abuse of this fund, by way of provoking his "staff". Hence the origin of the striking name. This was well-known by pilots who retired years ago.
What happens to the NWA mechanics'/engineers' strike when it goes on during a Chapter 11 filing?

Any labor law tips from Airbubba? How about Huck? Wino, my favorite "Union Goon"?

How is Delta's CEO providing leadership?

At Continental and American, if they file Chapter 11 after Oct 17, do they not have only 18 months to leave bankruptcy, without liquidation, other than hiding in a merger?

Let's hear the responses. Mir ist nichts klar.