PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar service terminates
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2005, 22:52
Pierre Argh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite possibly one of the oldest... and biggest bones of contention. Answers coming in about termination of radar service from all over the place... UK military ATC regs are confusing.

The radar controller is, basically, responsible for the aircraft making an instrument approach until on the runway... or until transfered to Tower when making a visual approach (paraphrased). But... a controller cannot give RAS below the Radar Vector Chart levels, and is limited in when (s)he can do so under RIS. (This came about when regs were tightened up following a couple of CFIT incidents?)... But, frankly, the regs are illogical!

Forget ILS, have a look at the PAR procedure to see how ridiculous it is... Aircraft under RAS at FAF at height of RVC, starts descent on the glidepath and is now below RVC... Controller is, theoretically, unable to continue to provide vectors i.e cannot do the a PAR? In the limitation there is, IMHO, no recognition that approach and departure procedure are designed within approved criteria, to ensure that terrain clearance is maintained? Ask any pilot what they would expect from a controller providing a talkdown if they were IMC on approach and he saw a dead-ringer confliction, and I bet the answer isn't traffic information?

My honest answer... I'd give avoiding action coupled with, in all probability, an instruction to break of the approach (seems like common-sense to me?). I believe this is currently excerising the grey matter of the men in grey at High Wycombe... but don't hold your breath?

Last edited by Pierre Argh; 14th Sep 2005 at 23:03.