PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 24th Dec 2000, 03:39
212man

Question

And? what's the point?

Of course the NTSB will be involved from time to time in investigations outside the USA. Definately when an N reg a/c is involved, but also when requested by other agencies. The UK AAIB is the same.

On a visit to FSI I was talking to my instructor about input drive shaft failure in the 212, he stated that when in the USMC he had been in a formation of UH1-Ns when an a/c in front had the very same. He witnessed the blades slow down and fold as the thing fell out of the sky. (high inertia head)

About 12 years ago a AS355 crashed in the UK after suffering double engine failure in icing conditions. The AAIB theory was that one engine flamed out and while the pilot had his hand off the collective to do something (frequency selection, engine control movement?) the other engine flamed out too, with not sufficient time to arrest the Nr decay before lowering the 'lever'. (Low inertia head).

It's a fact Lu, when main rotors lose their drive, they slow down. Unlike the profficiency check scenario where the pilot has his hand poised as if on a hair trigger, ready to lower the collective, in real life people's reactions are slower.

I do feel that postings like the above detract from your original intentions and can best be described as red herrings (hope that crosses the pond).

Anyway, glad to hear you are trying to get a trip in an R22, hope you find one soon and make sure the pilot keeps the ball in the middle!

------------------
Another day in paradise