PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 23rd Dec 2000, 01:01
212man

Question

How you can say that a head low inertia, has no bearing on its gyroscopic tendencies is beyond me. Rigidity in space is directly related to the polar moment of inertia and the rotational speed. A low mass two bladed system rotating at 500 rpm will not have a great deal of rigidity (though obviously some, even a Chipmunk or Tiger Moth displays it hence one reason for yawing during T/O and ldg).

The feedback forces are all aerodynamic, and the reason for small control linkages with low mechanical advantage is that the pitch change they produce results in a much larger force being exerted by the blade in total. Use of moveable tabs is just another way to solve the large forces involved in heavier machines in the same way that some older fixed wing a/c (eg Brittania) do.

It is not true to say that with Hydraulics the feedback forces are always shielded from the pilot; ever heard of 'jack stall'? Often the forces are caused by feathering action by 'propellor moment (CTM)'.

On the three 'large' types I have flown, moving the cyclic rapidly in a circle has no effect on the hydraulic pressure, either on the ground or airborne. In fact, if it is possible to demonstrate this effect (accumulators?) the degree and rapidity of movement required would almost certainly result in overstressing the various head components.

I can't believe that the differences in opinion can be blamed on national cultures. How confusing it would be for exchange pilots in general and those attending the 4 test pilot schools in particular, if that was the case. God nows what the French teach! (Grey Area, perhaps you could comment on this?).

------------------
Another day in paradise

[This message has been edited by 212man (edited 22 December 2000).]