PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 22nd Dec 2000, 21:09
SPS

Basic problem -

Gyro properties ;

1. Rigidity
2. Precession

Ok, we all know that, just setting out my stall.

If a rotor disc does not have high RPM (and no one would consider 550 or so "high" when
considering the RPM of instrument rotors) then how can it have rigidity, a product of
a rotating mass and its RPM?

If a heli has a low inertia rotor system, that suggests low mass, also a contributor to rigidity.

So - Low mass and low RPM (both relatively).

If the disc can be tilted by relatively small
control powers and inputs (eg a light heli with no servo assistance) then how can it have true rigidity? Surely if it did have true rigidity then ten pilots on one stick would not shift it from its attitude in space?

It isn't that simple of course, as the pilot does not change disc attitude by using the cyclic as a lever but does so by changing cyclic pitch. But I have to wonder that the amount of effort used to tilt a disc must in some way be commensurate with the amount
(or lack of) rigidity.

Not much rigidity = not much precession?

I'm not saying the disc does not have ANY gyroscopic properties but I sometimes wonder if it only has only SOME in the light of the above?

Is that why some push GP to the back of explanation? I'm not telling you, I'm asking you!

Just some thoughts.