PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 22nd Dec 2000, 20:27
SPS

Well Lu, 212,

I am having a bad week ! I am struggling with my own beleifs and theories this last couple of weeks actually.

It is clear that UK and US use of Gyro P is quite different, polarised if you like. I do not wish to become embrioled in all that because I think that polarisation closes minds to the others point of view, and on balance that is not the best thing (for me only, not instruction or sermon for you guys).

On balance though, nothing wrong with healthy debate either, it is good for your self and keeps the likes of government bodies and aircraft manufacturers honest.

I do think it is likely that US reaches for GP too readily, whereas it must be equally likely that UK considers it too little. It seems reasonable that the truth lies somwhere in the middle?

This proccess I refer to (in my head) has been triggered by the seemingly unsound exam questions I have mentioned (and many I have not)and some of the things that have been simmering for ages under the surface. I crave for one truth and one truth only.
Doubt if I'll get it somehow but I am sure glad to have you guys to bounce some of it off.

Lately apparent anomalies and ambigueties
have been leaping off the pages or whatever and biting me deep. I don't know if it is I that has suddenly changed or just coincidence.

I pick up a Nav. computer with instructions
for simple wind drift calculations on the top of the slider and find that they are technically wrong. There are 1000's of them around the globe.

The instructions?

"1. Place wind direction under true index.
2. Mark wind VELOCITY up from centre."

WHAT??!!

I will not go into where it was produced.

Then I read another sample exam paper and go ahhh....

I teach "Translational lift" to someone with a different attitude lately because I no longer beleive in the stock explanation (the product of a minor study into vortex action).

I don't beleive in the two most popular theories on ground effect because neither fits all of the actual effects when you are flying.

I don't want this to turn into a personal whinge or campaign against the science. I'm just trying to explain things as I perceive them.

The reason I have picked up on your thread
is that I have problems with Mr Cantrell's explanation of disc tilt in turns and I would like to debate that with you.

I don't think that GP has much to do with it.
Trouble is that if I differ with that item it seems I will be differing with the FAA Heli. book. Can it be held in isolation in conditions like this? eg. I would probably appear to be the staunch Brit (although I live in NZ!)telling the US boys they have it all wrong. I'm not, and I won't be. Can I differ with just this one thing without being marked down as an "Anti GP?"

I reckon I will say what I have to say on that particular matter on a new thread, try to stop it spreading and establishing me
as anti GP when I have an open mind on the matter, but a valid opinion to put forward.

BFN