PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 29th Nov 2000, 18:55
seismicpilot

Thanks Lu for the indepth probe!
The pub to which I was referring is available at (some) aviation supply shops...and I am quite sure that it is a matter of discretion. Robbys are not that popular here, so info regarding them is readily available.
The NTSB link to their accident database is an excellent and very useful site! I have used that many times when aircraft shopping (f/w and helis)

My only question regarding the robbys and their proclaimed 'reliability and safety';
if these pilots and wannabes are so intent on defending these rotary toilets, and point sole blame on the incredibly high number of accidents/incidents to pilot error, then it seems there is only 2 possible reasons: 1. They are wrong; and don't support fact and true findings regarding the engineering lunacy in the design, or 2. The ones who actually believe these are safe/reliable (and not reliable to crash) are just confirming their level of common sense and intelligence.
I sure would hope for the former, but I see it as a combination.
My last issue in debating the robby safety/reliability; if so, they why do NONE of the other helicopters in the US history have any record that even comes close to the mechanical malfunction/failure rate of the robbys??? Sure, back in the 40's and 50's etc when the Bell47 was evolving...it was doing just that...Evolving! When problems were encountered, they were fixed or changed; that's why there are over 20 different Bell47 models, and not with just cosmetic changes! And they still don't have the record # of NON-pilot error accidents that robby does! No other helicopter even comes close; not the Hiller, not Enstrom, not the Schweitzer, not JetRanger, Hughes...etc.
As I understand, the robby has not changed it's design since conception with regards to the mechanical flaws (I do know they had different models, or names, but the design for safety has not changed significantly enough to ensure safety).

At least the true colors are showing in some parts of the US regarding the robby...it is unfortunate that more accidents are going to occur, and take the lives of uninformed passengers.
But I am sure that Mr Frank Robinson sleeps soundly every night, knowing his finances are secured in offshore accounts.

Thanks for your info, Lu!

keep up the great work.

the robby is not worth defending 'to the death' in my books!

seisfly