PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 29th Nov 2000, 08:21
seismicpilot

Hi Lu
thanks for the report; it has been distributed to potential students to give them a clue. also, the fact that 3 have fallen out of the sky (...and NOT pilot error according to inv rpt.) in our area/(region), have not made a favorable impression. One, (of many) DE whom I know also told FAA he refuses to give checkrides in them anymore (was told he could use his 'discretion') this time, as a 500 hr (seemed like a new one, but I guess for a robby, that's beyond it's time limit!) anyway, the r22 was being rolled out of the hangar, and as it bumped over the INGROUND tracks for the hangar doors, the tailboom fell off! When the operator called the robby factory, their reply was , and is QUOTED " Oh, no problem, happens all the time. The fix is simple." HA! seems like a problem in the air if it happens! the 'fix' cost about $47.00 USD.

There is a pub out (avail in US) that compiles all of the Robby accidents and classifies the pilot error vs mechanical failures accidents. What I want to know is WHY do these robby jockeys accept the accidents/incidents that are pilot error, but conveniently ignore the Other Chart that compares the robby to Hiller, Bell47, Enstroms, Schweitzer, JetRanger, etc. (just to mention a few of the other training machines), Accidents, classified as LOC (loss of control) than was NOT in any way shape or form due to PILOT ERROR, nor contact with any object/terrain, but Specifically a MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION per 100,000 flight hrs. ???
This is all nicely arranged on this chart; and in conclusion, the robby is 100 times more likely to have mechanical failure than the JetRanger (which has the best record per 100,000 flt hrs regarding NON-pilot error, Mechanical Malfunction/Failure).
Also is this pub, are DETAILED reports of Each of these robby accidents that were declared mechanical malfunctions...and not the pilot error accidents.

It is Beyond me that there are people who think this flying toilet is anything comparable to a real helicopter! It even gives 'tinkertoy' a bad name (as it is a joke in the gulf offshore env).

Why are they denying these facts???

Lu, do you have a copy of this pub? It is worth the report and helps get the truth distributed to the pilot-wannabe world. We just had another robby co belly-up in the region due to poor publicity once the facts were finally learned by the public. It's time more give in and get with the program.
There are plenty of other great training machines that are less expensive than the turbines.

-seisfly