PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 28th Nov 2000, 08:39
Outside Loop

All,

Lu's theory about the 18 degree offset is actualy correct.It makes sense when you look at his diagrams and when you look at the helicopter and carry out his proposed tests.

Next time you fly an R22 solo, pay particular attention to the cyclic position in cruise. I did and found that as Lu suggested, the cyclic was in fact slightly off center to the right.It was as I say however very slight and only noticable if you make a careful observation.

It is well recognised, and even Lu has grasped the concept of inflow roll/transverse flow. We all know that the effect of such is to roll the helo to the right. Similarly the effect of an offset lateral CofG (sitting on one side or another with no ballast)will tend to roll the helo if it is not counteracted. The solo seat in the R22 is the right one. This balances the fuel which is on the left of the fuselage(alpha model)and the main tank also on the left(beta)but in low fuel conditions, creates a lateral CofG condition to the right.

So, we have inflow roll and an out of balance CofG both trying to roll the helicopter to the right, yet we still need a little (very small amount)of right cyclic. (Anyone who does not believe this, do as I did and try it before you respond.)

If we sat on the left side and inflow roll did not exist, this would be more noticable.

When we have accepted this fact and we apply it to Lu's theory about adding a tad of left cyclic along with our aft cyclic in order to recover from a low "G" roll over, we see that in theory once again Lu is correct.

However,as we all know, the R22 is very responsive to cyclic imput and application of aft cyclic acts very quickly to restore positive "G" or reload the rotor disc.Hence recovery is very rapid. It was alluded to by Rotorque way back on page 1 I think, that the primary objective in a low "G" situation is to avoid mast bump. So even though you may be correct,Lu, by saying that a little left cyclic will aid recovery by alieviating the right roll, the problem is, how much? A heavey handed application will result in mast bump and almost certain death.

Reloading the rotor disc by applying aft cyclic whilst keeping it laterally nuetral, will ensure a safe recovery, albiet with a slight bank to the right, whereas a simultanious imput of left (or right) cyclic runs the risk of disaster.

It is a natural tendancy to oppose the direction of roll with cyclic. This is another reason why it is not wise to teach a (TAD)of left cyclic to aid recovery. 9 out of 10 pilots, particularly inexperienced ones will over control or use left cyclic as a primary means of recovery, which is what we are trying to avoid.

It may be of interest for most pilots, and Lu,to note that when flying a B47 (solo) that the cyclic (in cruise)is also displaced slightly to the right.Pilot flys from left seat.Similarly in a B206 flying from the right seat the cyclic is to the left. Try it.

I have said this before but I'll say it again.(Lu you have to accept this) Out of balance flight does not ALONE cause mast bump or main rotor failure.It is NOT a limitation.

It DOES make the helo less stable and CAN,when coupled with harsh control movements or a bunt over manouver, increase the likely hood of loss of control due to low"G" roll. It is therefore RECOMENDED, along with turbulence, abrupt control movements and bunt overs,to avoid out of balance flight. Simple as that!

I would be happy to demonstrate full pedal travel at .6 VNE to you Lu, although it is not something that anyone would do on a regular basis.

Mustering cattle, would argueably have to be the harshest environment that a working helicopter would have to endure.It is true that the absense of a drag brace puts a spinning load on the coneing hinge and that the bolt holes do elongate or out of round.(for lack of a technical term)Rotor heads working on mustering machines regularly survive 2000hrs. Re-bushing the cone bearing hole sees them returned to service.There has been absolutely no evidence of mast fatigue or failure.