PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 24th Nov 2000, 21:33
Arkroyal

fish

I hesitate to rejoin this increasingly technical and complex debate, but as HeloTeacher says 'If theory is not supported by fact, amend the theory'.

I remember from my training being told that the rotor acts in a similar way to a gyroscope, but it IS NOT one. How can a hinged system obey gyroscopic properties?

The similar but not identical properties are due to very complex aerodynamic effects, especially in the low speed regime, where you are combating flapback, inflow roll, tail rotor roll. Not difficult just instinctive.

I have great reservations about the safety of the Robbies (for reasons of rotor inertia mostly)but find it hard to agree with Lu's technical theories which simply don't show up in practice.

Pilots point the cyclic in whatever direction attains the required direction of travel. It varies with speed, but if it was habitually up to 20 degrees out, I think it would have been noticed by a pilot, rather than an engineer.