PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 24th Nov 2000, 02:52
Lu Zuckerman

Thumbs down

To: RW-1 even though you might not be there.

You stated that the failure of the yoke assembly was the cause of the R22 crash in Watsonville, California.

"The showcopter's accident was the result of the yoke cracking, an emergency AD is in effect due to that incident, and not from a mast failure".

Where did you get this information all I have seen from the NTSB is that the helicopter lost its' rotor.

The AD you referenced, (AD 2000-20-51) was written, because some cracks had been detected on a yoke that was a part of a batch of yokes made from the incorrect material for the application and not as a result of an accident. Any yoke found to be cracked must be changed and all yokes made in that batch must be changed in the year 2001.

You also stated:

Regardless of what you may think, I haven't yet when moving cyclic forward had to induce any lateral cyclic to correct my movement along track other than what is needed for dissymmetry of lift and transverse flow effects, (plus establishing a trim condition if I have a crosswind after reaching 50FT and beginning my climb).

Is it possible that you are at the same time compensating for the offset I discused in my report. I would like to hear from some of you guys that have attended the Robinson school either for flight safety or as a mechanic and have you explain what they told you about the configuration of the Robinson swashplate as opposed to a Bell swashplate.

There is a pure Robinson website that is operated by a flight school in Connecticut. They have some excellent illustrations as well as some very technical text. On that website they showed a picture of a Robinson rotorhead and swashplate. In their explanation of gyroscopic precession they used a diagram of a Bell as opposed to a Robinson diagram. Why is that?

They were implying that the Robinson has a phase angle of 90 degrees but many of the posts have alluded to the Robinson having some magic dealing with pitch coupling resulting in a phase angle of 72 degrees. Why is that.

I am awaiting response from anyone that wishes to contribute even RW-1

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 24 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 24 November 2000).]