PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 23rd Nov 2000, 22:12
RW-1

Very interesting observations, however they are just that.

I'm a low time heli pilot in the 22, and just approaching CFR 61 req's for commercial.

I'm not going to get into the aerodynamics discussion, but the plain truth is that for what you are predicting to be a design flaw is not backed up by the evidence presented.

Reguardless of what you may think, I haven't yet when moving cyclic forward had to induce any lateral cyclic to correct my movement along track other than what is needed for dissymmetry of lift and transverse flow effects, (plus establishing a trim condition if I have a crosswind after reaching 50FT and beginning my climb).

I have to say I'm with JoePilot. It matters not to me if you actually fly or not, I did heli maintenance in the Navy on UH-1's and CH-53E's. But if the evidence doesn't support what you are putting forth, it is only a theory. Have you put any time in a Robbie at all to check if what you determine to be a problem is actually one?

The showcopter's accident was the result of the yoke cracking, an emergency AD is in effect due to that incident, and not from a mast failure.

For Mr. Robinson, your helicopter has brought me fun, joy, and a plethora of learning experiences that I hope to continue as I accumulate more hours, and progress to my Inst and CFI. Thank you!

Man, I'm tired from reading all that. will I stop flying the robbie? Nope, not at all. For all Mr. Zuckerman's fears of an improper low-G recovery, I've done several, and at the utmost i practice the most important thing of all, I try to not get into one in the first place.

Please do not feel the urge to reply to my post, I don't believe I'm even returning to it to read any more. It's been beaten to death, for the majority of people here I say let's move on. (Just a newbie's opinion)

------------------
Marc