PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 22nd Nov 2000, 01:31
Lu Zuckerman

Thumbs down

To: Imlanphere

Rotor divergance as I addressed is caused by extremly high flapping loads and once it gets to that point there is very little that can be done about it. Robinsons' way of keeping you out of that situation is to restrict you from sideslipping and flying out of trim.

This is for Helo Teacher:

The certification requirements state that any new helicopter design demonstrate sideslipping by hitting the pedals to the stop while flying at .6 VNE. It must also demonstrate out of trim flight by +/- 10 degrees. If the Robinson helicopters are now restricted from flying this way because to do so will increase the flapping loads to the point of mast bumping then how did they demonstrate that capability during certification with out beating the helicopter to death. That is the main point of my report. I stated that if the helicopter were put up for certification now, and could not demonstrate these certification requirements, then the FAA would tell them to piss off.

------------------
The Cat