PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 22nd Nov 2000, 01:11
Kyrilian

Lu,
I don't have enormous amounts of time on my hands so I'll _try_ to be brief.

You appear to have made many points in your report, and I'm not disputing any but the one I have discussed (ie, control phase lag angle). I agree that the R-22 is very unforgiving for someone just starting to fly. I personally started in an SA-269C (Schweizer 300C) and soloed in that before I flew the R-22. I have flown R-22s since and like them much more due to their quick response, light stick and performance (better 'glide', higher cruise speed, etc). I have also practiced departure engine failures (in the R-22) in which I would drop the throttle to idle while pulling max power and a lot of collective. One must be very quick to respond, but it is possible to safely land even at max power (and I'm a relative novice).

I do however, I stick to my assertion that the rotor disc reacts in the same direction as the control stick. If you are so dead-set on your point, please go down to the local airport and sign up for a little time with an instructor in an R-22. You won't have to fly--just have him/her run it up and move the stick laterally and longitudinally while you walk around. You could also watch the tip path plane from inside. If you are correct, you will see the rotor disc move forward and slightly to the right when the stick is moved forward--it should, as you assert, be a significant angle. It's easy to watch the tip path plane move, and I am sure you'll be convinced...

As far as rotorcraft texts go, I have several, including one by Ray Prouty. In my opinion, the Johnson book is very thorough and teaches the theory behind rotorcraft dynamics (and doesn't simply go into simplified examples).