PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 20th Nov 2000, 22:03
Lu Zuckerman

Thumbs down

To: Try_Cyclic

It seems that we were posting at the same time.

I don't seem to be getting through to you.

If you have access to both a Bell and a Robinson please do the following.

Place the blades over the longitudinal center line of both helicopters.

Place the cyclic sticks of both helicopters in the rigged neutral position.

Move the cyclic sticks forward and backward. On the Bell, the blades will not move but, on the Robinson they will. Now, rotate the Robinson blades so that the pitch horn is directly on the Lateral centerline. Move the cyclic forward and backward. In this case, the blades won't move.

Place the blade of both helicopters over the lateral axis of the helicopters.

With the cyclic sticks in the rigged neutral position move the cyclic stick left and right. On the Bell the blades won't move. On the Robinson they will move. Now, rotate the Robinson blades until the pitch links are directly over the longitudinal axis of the helicopter. Repeat the same test. The blades won't move.

On the Robinson the blade must travel in rotation the same number of degrees that you moved them in order to eliminate any movement
in order to get the maximum pitch deflection to effect the maximum movement of the disc.

I have been working on helicopters since 1949 and I have only seen one helicopter that did not (on a continuous basis) have a 90 degree phase angle. That helicopter was the Cheyenne and it was eventually cancelled because of that problem.

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 20 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 20 November 2000).]