PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training Bonds - Fair or unfair?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2005, 05:38
bellfest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a topic that has been covered on a few different threads. More and more here in Aus. anyone wishing to step up to multi engine or IF flying has to be prepared to sign their life a way for a certain "bond"period.
From an operators point of view this can be mildly understood. No-one wants to spend money on an employee so they can go and utilise those skills elsewhere.
My question is:
Considering this mentality, why is it that the prior commitments and achievements of an existing employee within companies are not factored into the equation?
It is all well and good to expect an individual to pay their dues following some type of extensive training but what about the dues that have already been paid? ie-working days off, working extra duties, unpaid overtime etc. (This obviously excludes those new to companies requiring this training)
It is a tough industry to get into, and you have to be prepared to put in the hard yards and many have but there has to be a line somewhere right? Particularly considering how pathetic the award is.When do you stop getting shafted?
Some poor Joe can go in on countless days off and earn the boss thousands of extra $'s for no OT, no days in luie when the machine would otherwise have sat on the ground. Yet come training time that is not considered in most cases.
A long winded bitch I realise, but I think that if, as an operator you decide to have these training bonds in place then I think that prior performance should play more of a role in considering the individual bond.
The good old days of busting your @ss for peanuts is gone. It is just too expensive to live. Just ask your boss how much it costs to put fuel in his X5 each week!
I would like to hear what the employers think.