PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 30th Sep 2000, 03:33
JoePilot

Oh DAMN it!!
Now I have to come in!
1 Thanks for understanding bicycle wheel!! (sorry if unclear)
2 Blade flaps up to try and get to where 'extra' pitch would dictate, but before '90' it has got there - so doesn't want to any more ... ok? (ie the 'extra' pitch is less than will support that 'flapped position' so it's actually on it's way down again)
3 Relatively inexperienced ex mil hotshot could well be very high risk catagory!
(a girl I dated's father, sim. profile (more exp 15,000hrs, no teetering head experience) killed himself exploring for the edge - if you look you WILL find - your choice)
Please do not try and emulate. (even, maybe, if embarrasment not too much then get him to privately email me - I don't mind looking stupid but really it is very easy for what you describe to be catastrophic unless it is VERY specific style)

It is worth reading Sikorsy test pilot's view of MD600 (fully articulated head) tail boom chop-off - (march rec.rotorcraft news group)
Approx: 90deg sideslip gives reduced disc/boom clearance. Sharp nose up like this (poss. with lowering lever) could explain the ensueing multi slicing.
Any sharp abrupt .... just read the safety notices at the back of the manual - please .. ok? promise.
Envelopes are complicated and some very good people don't know every corner of all of them
Please don't kill yourself till Monday - I have to go to bed!