PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 29th Sep 2000, 04:44
helidrvr

Well, now that this one seems to be drawing to a close, I am left with the impression that both sides have made valid and not necessarily contradicting arguments.

Joe Pilot has proven to his own satisfaction that the Robbie can be flown way outside the POH prescribed limitations. So be it. Most of us have accomplished similarly foolhardy feats in B47's, 206', 105's etc., usually by getting away with overgrossing, before we became old and wise enough to discontinue such practices. For whatever it's worth however, the Robbie can obviously be flown with a degree of impunity (by some). Lu Zuckerman's argument does not negate this and I doubt that he intends to.

On the other hand, one big question arises out of Lu's lengthy report (which I have read). If the FAA saw fit to place a set of unique restrictions on the Robbies and if indeed these restrictions contradict the basic criteria for certification of rotorcraft, then he raises a very troubling point indeed. Why this time and especially if Mr. Robinson was the signing authority of his own certification? Joe Pilot's arguments do not address this troubling question and I suspect he doesn't really want to.

Finally, a "mea culpa" from your moderator. As many of you probably know, Lu originally posted his missile on Justhelicopters where he was unfortunately hounded mercilessly by a pack of school yard bullies who had no meaningful arguments to offer. I wrote to Lu and promised him that if he presented his case here, he would get a civilized and knowledgeable response even from his opponents.

Thank you all very much for proving me right.
Thank you Lu for giving it another try here. I hope we didn't disappoint you.

[This message has been edited by helidrvr (edited 29 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by helidrvr (edited 29 September 2000).]