PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 25th Sep 2000, 13:16
WhoNeedsRunways

Lu :

If my recollection is correct, the advice in the POH for recovery from inadvertant ( or otherwise ) low G was determined after TESTING.

I'll say that again, differently. TESTING was undertaken by Tim Tucker, to determine how to recover from low G situations in the R22. When it started getting silly, they stopped, but not before they'd found that gentle aft cyclic ( and a tad of left cyclic as well, but that's not in the book ) would recover as safely as is possible. If it had led to major problems, then Tim wouldn't be booked to do a safety course next month in the UK.

I'm as satisfied as I can be, given the forum, that your credentials as an engineer are impeccable. I'm less than satisfied that you've ever flown in a Robbie, or even that you're a helicopter pilot. There is sometimes a huge gap between theory and practice, and it is this gap I have a niggling thought that exists in your knowledge of the situation.

Are there any more experienced guys out there who have read the document, or can express their thoughts with more practical experience than myself ? Those with preconceptions and not practical experience, i.e. zillions of hours in nothing less than twin turbine machines need not apply.