PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 24th Sep 2000, 23:29
JoePilot

Strikes me you are sad that you're not going to get the pay out as 'expert witness' in the big case.

Yes I read the thread, and have followed this topic closely over many years.

A friend carefully tried tiny incremental approaching of the limmits at low g some years ago. He very very nearly killed himself and told a friend about it. The friend tried it too and did kill himself.

Also I know of two others who killed themselves experimenting with the envelope in this area.

PILOT CHOICE! (sad though)

Sure disseminate information which will help people understand what is not an appropriate set of manoevers and why in helicopters with this general type of rotor head BUT dont DISTORT the issue with your bias.

You would sound less biased if you acknowledged that both R22 and R44 do have the most REMARKABLY GOOD MECHANICAL RELIABILITY RECORD.

I think it is wrong for you to include PILOT ERROR incidents with MECHANICAL RELIABILITY.

If you want to fly an amazingly SAFE machine then Robinson is it. It is (you surely cant deny) very well designed with superb performance.

I think you are part of the old school (often quite arrogant though not neccessarily in your case)which likes bigger, more complex, more engines, more systems ... will design systems to fix problems rather than design no need for systems etc.

You choose whether you drive your car head-on into the on-comming traffic only you stop yourself turning the wheel in your hands. This is of course the case when you hold a control for anything... so of course you can bump your mast if you want.

Your answer maybe that the narrowness of the acceptable envelope is excessive - but that is just not the case. It is an amazingly big envelope - I REALLY DO know (sorry you'll just have to believe me!)

So calm down - take another look - be real.

Joe