PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Certification of Robinson Helicopters (incl post by Frank Robinson)
Old 15th Sep 2000, 14:49
WhoNeedsRunways

Lu :

Thanks for your copy of the report.

I have one question. In the "Questions to the FAA/Robinson" bit, you ask of Robinson and the FAA "Why are two bladed rotor systems susceptible to "Zero G" maneuvers".

I see from the document and your mail that you provide substantial references to being in helicopter engineering for a long time. But you can't answer yourself why teetering heads are subject to low-g intolerance.

I learnt about this BEFORE I started to fly R22s, and subsequently on a training course. Every R22 pilot I know of knows to avoid low G. I am curious as to how you got your experience on R22s, and if something as basic as this can be missing from your repertoire, I'll be taking the report with a huge pinch of salt. There are other things in the report I take issue with, but will give deference to your credentials as an experienced engineer, while I've only got 60 rotary hours.

One last thing. Bell 47s, Bell 206s use teetering heads. Robbies are the most numerous training helicopters going, yet still manage an ( acceptably in my opinion, maybe not in others ) low accident rate even when flown by very low time pilots. When it was introduced the major problem was lack of rotor inertia, not mast bumping. Pilot education has reduced that dramatically.

And unless you'll subsidise me, I can't afford to fly much else.

[This message has been edited by WhoNeedsRunways (edited 15 September 2000).]