PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A different anti-torque idea
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2002, 14:00
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A different anti-torque idea

I don't recall this ever being discussed on this forum before, and I didn't see anything while searching the forum.... .. .On a turbine helicopter, could the engine exhaust be used to power a jet tip on the end of the tail boom for anti-torque?. .. .My first thoughts about this are:. .. .The hot exhaust would appear to be available for free. More engine power to the main rotor would create more exhaust pressure and gas flow to power the jet tip when more anit-torque would be needed, like in a hover. The jet tip could have a variable nozzle to change the jet speed and thus the anti-torque (from the pedals maybe). If the engine(s) failed, no anti-torque would be needed anyway in the autorotation (would a small rudder on the vertical stab be useful here?).. .. .The tail boom could serve as a jet pipe to divert gas flow to the jet tip. Blend doors of some kind could be used in the tail boom to change the amount of exhaust supplying the jet tip. A vertical stab on the tailboom could supply most of the anti-torque in forward flight, thus allowing the blend doors to divert less gas to the jet tip.. .. .A more constricted jet tip (via the variable nozzle) would create more backpressure that lowers power to the main rotor, but this would essentially be power diverted to increase the anti-torque power. The jet tip could be vectored along a lateral axis so that good airframe turning response would be available in both directions. The jet tip could be vectored up and down for better airframe leveling control, especially on approach to a hover or rapid transition to forward flight.. .. .Any other thoughts, ideas, or comments?. .. .(edited for typos). . . . <small>[ 17 March 2002, 10:03: Message edited by: Flight Safety ]</small>