PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If...........?
Thread: If...........?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2002, 04:11
Nick Lappos

helmet fire,. .The turns are ok I think, but the high g of the turns are perhaps worse than the high speed, considering rotor blade stall. However, whatever works, works, I think.. .. .I teach a trick for pilots to finesse their low speed power and airspeed control. Set level flight at half to 2/3 of the best rate of climb speed (40 knots for big Sikorskys), and let the instructor take the collective and don't let it move. On a clam day, the below works well.. .. .Using only cyclic, adjust airspeed to set a descent or climb at will. Remember that if you speed up, you will climb and if you slow down, you will descend. After a bit of practice, slow down and start a descent, pick a spot and approach it. If falling short, increase speed a bit, if landing long, slow down slightly to steepen up the approach.. .. .I found that most helo pilots can learn to make precision approaches without collective control after a bit of practice!. .. .This fits the original post because, if the stuck collective case has power that is below hover OGE power, you could also slow down until you get the airspeed to the level flight point (perhaps 25 or 30 knots) and then just do the airspeed control trick to land. You will climb a few thousand feet burning off the speed, but you can descend afterward, once speed is under control.