PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thank you PMA
Thread: Thank you PMA
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2005, 21:49
Eric Aldrovandi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you PMA

My mate (wink, wink) ended up diverting into a USMC base in Iraq after an aircraft failure (failure of a badly-designed component). He was there for 5 days waiting for a rescue mission to be mounted...

During the time in Iraq, he only had the clothes he was wearing (desert issue flying kit) and the equipment in the CSW/PSP. The temperature there dropped to -6c overnight so the desert kit was a little cold. Thankfully, HM QEII provided emergency $$$ for such occasions (or so he thought) and he became the proud owner of a nice warm jumper, a super wooly hat and some pants and socks. Of course, justification to spend the money was given on the grounds that death by hyperythermia was the other option. Fine.

Anyway, guess what should arrive through the post this week... Only a bill for £10. PMA has (kindly) agreed to fund 50% of these emergency purchases, the other 50% to be funded by my mate. And his mate.

What does everyone think about that?

By the way, he had to leave a PW2 there which subsequently could not be found. Anyone know how much they cost? I think a call to the bank might be in order to cover that one.

And another thing... When the base was attacked by the local mortar platoon, guess who the only 2 blokes without helmets and body armour were.

So to summise, I would like to thank PMA for their kind donation (on behalf of my mate, obviously). I would also like to know if the major airlines are so generous in these circumstances? Or would it be fair to expect the pilot to pay for the whole lot?

Oh, I just thought of a good idea for all of you young pups out there. If that ever happens to you, make sure that you buy twice as much stuff as you need, then take half of it back.

That will work, won't it?