PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar service terminates
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2005, 21:17
52 North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pie Man

Yep, I agree with you about what the Part One says about cancelling a RAS below RVA levels, however what would you do in the scenario I quoted?

I know what I wouldn't do and that is ignore the contact just because the inbound was below the RVA level. Perhaps an expedited climb to the RVA level then an avoiding action turn?

In which case is the Part One wrong? Instead of stating:

"ATSUs providing a RAS shall set a level or levels at or above which the aircraft will remain within the limits of radar cover and be provided with the requisite terrain clearance. Below this level or levels a RAS shall be refused or terminated."

should it not state:

"ATSUs providing a RAS shall set a level or levels at or above which the aircraft will remain within the limits of radar cover and be provided with the requisite terrain clearance. Below this level or levels radar vectoring under a RAS shall be discontinued"

52N

NS

I agree that doing anything once removed is not ideal, however surely doing nothing in that scenario is even worse. As I stated to Pie Man, a climb to the RVA level then an avoiding action turn may be an answer, all depending on the time available I guess.

52N