PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training fixes
Thread: Training fixes
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2005, 18:59
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny, but I've always been the first to admit to my mistakes. I don't see them as a failing unless they happen over and over.
One of the reasons I am totally open with my students and members so that they can see that I have had my fair share of mistakes and problems. Hopefully this means they will be more forthcoming with me if they do have problems, rather than worrying if I'd bite their head off if they admit to any stuff up.

Is psychology beyond our friends at the belgrano? Not sure if it is, but the whole point is that we should all be adult enough to know when we've ar*ed up. D&D aren't some big scarey organisation who will come down on you like a ton of bricks if you call saying you are lost. They are an extremely professional organisation who are there to help you, not punish you.
You aren't going to get kicking from anyone for calling for help. It is the right thing to do and that's it.

The reasons why people do something aren't really the debate, swallowing a bit of pride and realising that you aren't Biggles may be a bit of a kick to your pride, but what's more important. Doing the right thing and asking for help or trying to muddle out of it and potentially causing more problems down the line?

If you've reached the point where you realise you are lost. Most people will be starting to panic somewhat. We all know that you don't generally make good decisions when you are panicking, so why not help yourself as much as possible by getting the D&D service working for you properly. It will take a massive load off your mind straight away knowing that you're in safe hands.

As said before, I agree with WWW sentiments about not abusing the D&D service, but I cannot agree with the idea of only allowing FI's or P/UT's to ask for training fixes. Having a pratice every so often is fine by my book as long as that is exactly what it is. A practice not pretending to be something else.

A bit of noise on 121.5 is fine sometimes, it lets me know the box is still working! It doesn't bug me too much hearing calls, it's the "G-blah-de-blah good morning" whilst we're screaming through the localiser that get my goat!