PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss Of Pressurization At High Altitude
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2005, 18:58
AeroTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thank you guys for your posts.

I apologize for the confusion. I try to clarify, here is the introduction of the problem (or the scenario):
Boeing (not DC or MD) aircrafts are not fitted with ram air scoop at the opposite of Airbus or McDonnel Douglas aircrafts.
This ram air scoop provides alternate air if there is no engines bleed air or the pack valveS (I mean ALL the flow control valveS) are faulty. I supposed 2 separate scenarios: all engineS flame-out caused by fuel depletion and all engineS flame-out without fuel depletion. All engineS flame-out occured at high altitude (cruise altitude). The all engines flame-out will provoke a gradual loss of pressurization (depending of the air leakage) because there is no engines bleed air. So here, we are not talking about a rapid decompression. The all engines flame-out occured before, either with or without fuel depletion (Gimly glider B767 , Air transat A330, B747 flying through volcanic ash clouds). We suppose that all engines flame-out will occur at cruise altitude in ETOPS aircrafts with 180 or 207 minutes diversion time.
I hope things are clear now and this scenario is plausible. If so, here my questions:

-Consider we have all engines flame-out (caused by fuel depletion) on Boeing ETOPS aircrafts with 180 or 207 minutes and without ram air scoop like B 757, 767, 777): how the ventilation air (without air inlet) will be provided to the all passengers during all this long diversion time at safe altitude (10,000 or 14,000 ft) mainly on Boeing aircrafts since they are not fitted with ram air scoop? (Usually chemical generator oxygen systems produce oxygen for 12-15 minutes during descent, may be more few minutes for ETOPS aircrafts).

-Could the lack of ventilation air affect the health of passengers or provoke suffocation?
It will be very helpful if someone can post the checklist of loss of thrust on both engines or loss of pressurization (or other checklist related to the subject) to figure out how ventilation air is provided mainly in ETOPS aircrafts like 757, 767, 777 that have longer diversion time.

-Consider we have all engines flame-out at cruise altitude ( caused by fuel depletion):
What you (as pilot) will do first ? (loss of thrust on both engines or loss pf pressurization checklist?) Can you please talk about the checklist on the aircraft that you fly or your know (to don't specify the kind aircraft).

-Consider we have now all engines flame-out at cruise altitude (BUT not caused by fuel depletion) and the APU is operating:
What you (as pilot) will do first ? (loss of thrust on both engines or loss pf pressurization checklist?) Can you please talk about the checklist on the aircraft that you fly or your know (to don't specify the kind aircraft).

Feedback very appreciated, thank you in advance for your help and your patience to read this long post.
Best regards.