PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full down auto's ...
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2001, 01:47
Kyrilian

Wink

I presume the question of whether or not to practice a potentially machine-bending maneuver like a full-down auto is similar to spin training here in the US. It comes down to the difference betwee the number of accidents, fatalities, etc that are caused by training, vs the number that happen due to inadequate training. I've heard that the number of accidents during spin training, for example, was more than the number of accidents caused by inadequately trained (in spins) pilots, so it was decided that it wasn't worth the risk.

I too would like to practice autos to the ground. I actually had the chance to do so, on my PP checkride! The examiner, I presume, figured everything was under control so he just urged me to take it all the way down. The wind was across the runway so we just did a skidding touchdown across the hard runway. I hadn't prepped for it, but it wasn't so bad. As has been noted above, we didn't get into a zero groundspeed hover so it wasn't much like a normal hover auto. Much more like a run-on landing than any hover autos I've done though. Educational though