PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe
Thread: Flybe
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2005, 10:52
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps you would be doing everyone a favour by reporting what you saw.
I did, in a non emotional and non stressed manner, subsequent to the flight, by E-mail to the operator's maintenance base, having made sure first that I wasn't over reacting to something that got my attention.

Please let's not over react here, this was the inner skin of a double skin exhaust, at the very trailing edge of that unit, external to the nacelle.

The movement I saw was airflow induced, and changed with flap settings and speed, so as far as I could tell, it wasn't engine vibration related, but it could have been. I was more concerned that on a relatively new type, it might not have been spotted and reported, which could lead to maintenance failure issues at a later stage. That's not good for any operator.

I'm not going to prolong a discussion that's not going very far, specially when I get the level of sarcasm that's being shown here, I did what I felt was appropriate at the time, and made the people that needed to know aware of what I'd seen, and I'm not about to get hung out to dry for mentioning it now as part of a discussion thread about possibly related items.

No, I'm not an aircraft engineer by trade, but I have a long background in engineering, have worked alongside and assisted licensed engineers on commercial size aircraft, owned and operated my own light twin for a while, and have done all of the theoretical work on the professional licences and passed them, (pre JAA) so I do have a pretty strong knowledge of aircraft sytems and the like. The only reason I'm not flying professionally is because of Saddam, the timing of gulf 1 blew my window of opportunity, and once over 40, airlines lose interest!

I'm also aware that trying to have a private conversation with the cabin crew when seated in a window seat is almost impossible, and I wasn't about to start worrying people sitting around me.

The phrase don't shoot the messenger comes to mind.

As I've said before, I have no anti anyone agenda, I'm not trying to make waves for anyone, or to knock an aircraft or operator.

I have thought back to Kegworth, I got very much involved with the concept and implementation within a major airline of the MCC training that came in as a result of that accident, and if I'd been there and seen what the passengers did, I doubt it would have made much difference, and if I were to make the sort of waves today that would have been needed then to get the flight deck crew's attention, I would probably get accused of air rage.

I hope that's clear, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the end of the discussion if it's going to continue as an attack against me, I've better things to do with my life