PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a pilot onboard?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2005, 09:38
M14P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been watching this one with interest.
I am probably a little more qualified than most on the subject given that in addition to my light aircraft flying I also spend a fair amount of time with 'members of the public' in airline simulators.

I'm afraid to report (as has already been mentioned) that the likely answer is an emphatic 'No!'. The issue is not skill related but simply put, given the likely environment/condition that we are talking about any one tiny feature of the the aircraft systems might stump the would-be pilot.

The Helios crash highlighted this a little since it would appear that the student pilot/cabin crew made repeated distress calls but on a frequency that no-one could hear.

Additionally, reversion modes of auto pilots/autothrust might well cause high levels of workload that simply could not be overcome by a person without experience. I can think of at least two scenarios with the A320, one with the 777 and 747 where a relatively 'normal' AP/ATHR behaviour would flummox an untrained observer.

Basic flying skill is an issue, too. This is not because the airliners are difficult to fly but because they are differnent. The biggest issue I see is a shallowing of the approach below 200' leading to essentially a flypast/stall or an over flare (leading to a similarly unpleasant arrival).

You might not like it but the sad truth is airliners do not fly themselves, nor are they terribly easy to operate. I would, however, wholeheartedly recommend a visit to a simulator to see for yourself.

Tonyh - your Airbus mate is overstating things a little, I'm afraid. The instrument rating (no longer a separate test and therefore invalid on light types) is as much a cerebral and spatial excercise as it is physical.

regards

m