PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Serv International - Threads Merged
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2005, 08:47
poorwanderingwun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much has been written on ASI in previous posts.... some quite recently... suggest you do a search if not yet done so....
Some of the posts cause me to think of the mad hatters tea party...On the whole I'd say that they are well intentioned.... safety conscious at least as much as the average Part 135 operator (technically they are part 91 with a dispensation from the FAA)...
Was a very altruistic operation originally started by some ex MAF types....under their current CEO are becoming more hardnosed re: profit/non Profit status... probably necessary in order to survive... Money sounds poor on paper but everything pretty much all found and no tax to pay means you will bank whatever your paid... Attracts a wide variety of pilots most of which are pretty capable....You have to be content to put up with sharing a house with maybe 5 other people... Most postings are in places where it's not really advisable to walk the streets, drive a car or ride a bicycle so a feeling of being imprisoned can overtake you after a while as transport will depend on the Country Director's willingness to provide cars and drivers out of their precious budget...Unfortunately there is among the hierarchy a disdain for pilots which ramifies downwards through the company...this starts with the boss Stuart Willcuts.... and country directors, who almost without exception have no professional knowledge of aviation have been more than willing to follow his lead.
The flying is pretty much OK and more interesting than much developed world flying.... don't believe cr*p about it being CIA or NSA it's just a humanitarian NGO... if someone from some shady organisation needed to travel through an area flown by ASI then they no doubt will try to hop a plane but then they will also travel with US Air or AA as well....
If you fancy something different it's worth trying.... salaries are paid efficiently... health care schemes are in place... if you suffer some sort of injury/sickness you will get 1st class attention probably involving a medivac... In short as with any company ( I've worked with other companies who's management don't care for pilots ) Pluses and minuses...
You'll need to push... push again and then push harder to make something happen with HQ.... good people but a bit disorganised on the recruiting front....
Try to speak to Tina Schaefer and /or Wendy Irmischer...regularly.
For the most part I enjoyed my time there ....
just watch out for those ' !§$£#µ Country Directors.... ! they are probably responsible for most pilots leaving or changing their minds about joining ASI.