PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest on tilt rotors?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2002, 09:20
The Sultan

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Lu, Sorry I mean Nick. I can not tell you guys apart anymore.. .. .No one compares the V-22 to the UH-60. They compare it to the 53.. .. .The Air Force has stated that using current mission profiles in Afganistan the V-22 can do the same mission as the CH-53 in 4 hours instead of 7 hours and with no a-t-a refuelings where the 53 requires 3. Where's your range and "I can do anything you can do" here, Nick? Buy the way this is 75% faster not 35%.. .. .So Nick: Why can the 53 not meet all of your claims? It has basically the same power and weight as an Osprey. Is it only because it lacks the speed and range with the same mission load?. .. .As to VRS. You know better. Helicopters with lower flow enter VRS at much lower sink rates than a V-22. Therefore, the V-22 is less likely to encounter this if flown within a more generous envelope than current fielded rotorcraft. Remember, VRS was discovered on helicopters so it is not a tiltrotor only phenomenon. You get into it close to the ground and you are going to get hurt. . .. .One last point: Would you care to demonstrate the S-92 at gross weight, under 30 knots, 2500+ fpm sink rate, at night on goggles with no corrective action until your 200 feet above the ground?. .. .The Sultan