PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stranded Ryanair passengers had to hire bus to get home (merged)
Old 12th Sep 2005, 19:44
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, time to get my calculator out again:

Let's say:

Average difference between Ryanair's fares and other airlines:

€50 return

This is very conservative, considering we are talking about Brussels here!

Chance of Ryanair flight being cancelled:

(Less than) - 1%

Costs to passengers of getting their own bus, and let's say one lost working day?

Bus - €100
Day's work - €100

Total "cost" of delay - €200

Total cost x chance of actually happening:

€200 x 1% = €2

Less cost of not using Ryanair:

€2 - €50 = -€48

Conclusion: Large numbers of passengers choose Ryanair.

By all means question any of the figures above for a LEISURE passenger, but considering the origin and destination quoted, I don't really think MOL will be worried about a bus load of displaced passengers. I'll gladly bet a Ryanair flight that half of them will still be booking with them next year anyway.

Fair play to them for clubbing together and getting a bus. Good teamwork. But if they'd kept that to themselves, they wouldn't have created the story. Whoever called the journo has just given Ryanair another $xx,000 worth of free publicity.

Moral of the story - if you don't like Ryanair's ways, don't book with them. But if you do choose to get outraged by them, keep your rantings to yourself, and don't be surprised that many millions of others will still use them.

Insult 1% of your customers and keep the other 99% happy - nothing really that different in Ryanair's policy compared to the poets in Roman times. Both had a very good track record for putting bums on seats.

PS - Runway 31 - yes, a good travel insurance policy will, IIRC, put pax on another flight. Pay with some Amex cards and you'd get a night in a hotel and a free meal, but surprise surprise FR don't take Amex.