PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tuna Spotting, tuna boat ops (incl Guam)
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2005, 21:57
George Semel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You stay on the boat till they fill it, then you come in. These days you could be out 6 months. They will tell you that you should have at least 8 months on a medical left alonq with a BFR or currency check before you set sail. You will share a cabin with the Mechanic, unless you are also the Mechanic, lot of boats like the Pilot to be an A+P as well. There is no season, as far as I know, keep calling and bugging them. As for flight time, could be a lot or very little, depends on how good or bad the fishing is and if the Capt of the Boat likes to fly or not. 300 hours on a 6 month cruise is about right. May be a little more than that. Well you get to watch a lot of Korean Game shows on Video Tap. It get old after awhile, take plenty of books you read a lot. I was given 500 bucks to stock up on the things I wanted, so me and the Mech, made sure we had plenty of beer and Milk and stuff like that. The one thing that you should do, before going out, is take care of any dental problems before hand, go to a doctor for a compleat physical, not the can you hear thunder and see lighting kind for a flight physical. You will loose weight. I lost 37 lbs in the first three weeks! Korean food is well different, after a while it will grow on you. Take a good Multiple Vitamin with you.When I was out, I flew Bell 47's and well there was some questionable maintance issues with that one. There use to be several companies out of Guam that put helicopters on Tuna Boats, I think there is only one or two left. You will be out of contact, so have every thing in order before hand, also take enough money with you, not that you will spend any on the boat, working for the Koreans is well a one way deal, you want to have enough on you to buy a ticket home if the Capt. decides to dump you on Truck Atoll or New Britian Island. One more thing, don't take anything they say for the truth. And if they offer you tonnage or flat monthy, take the monthly. You could get stiffed big time on tonnage, since the fishing has been in real decline since 1980. The days of going out and filling the boat in 14 or so days and making a bunch of cash on tonnage is long gone. Be careful its not an easy job.