PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Backtracking?
Thread: Backtracking?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2005, 18:58
dhc83driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one of the drivers of the 146`s in the pretend red white and blue, a couple of points. These are my own veiws and i`m sure others from my outfit will disagree.

first on landing on 10 at max weight, brakes now 600 degrees. we wizz round to back track, we are going pretty quick, (notice the spoilers still up ) only to be asked to expidite because the VLM behind has been doing warp factor 9 up behind us all down the approach and is now very close behind, ok fair enough min runway occupancy, we are trying our best with hot brakes so why then start asking us to expedite again because traffic is on short final! we can see it, we are looking straight at it! so we screech off the 90 turn with the paxs pressed against the cabin wall.

Second asked to backtrack for 28 or to the loop, with 30min turn arounds and hot brakes they may not cool all the way down before we go again so we have to be carefull about brake temp befour departure. a 70mph dash down the runway to turn around tends to heat them up a bit (twice the speed 4 times the energy) i`ve been going 50kts indicated and been asked to expedite how fast do you want us to go its like a rejected takeoff.

i`m all for min runway occupancy but sometimes we are doing our best, if we are light, had a long turn around we can and will wizz along at vlm speeds, but we are not a t-prop with disc / reverse and all we have to stop are those four lumps of carbon.

one more thing on lcy is "be ready for an immediate takeoff" can anyone do this? as i think we all have to do a standing start and wind the hairdryers up.

we all know about the high rate of movements at lcy, we do are best to accomadate. You may not of seen an incident but i`d rarther have a few go arounds than an aircraft in the drink pulling into the loop at 40 kts with a brake failure.