PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily Telegraph: 'Pilots 'under pressure to take risks'
Old 11th Sep 2005, 18:22
Spartacan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
rubik101, with regard to my views you wrote:

>>Oh really? Pray tell where you got this jem from? Please supply your reference material.
<<

Sure, the reference is from a report by Icon Consulting (not a group of pilots) which the CAA commissioned.

The executive summary contains the following statement:

>>Captains are increasingly being required to make economic decisions, which is often counter to their traditional role of safely flying the aircraft. There is sometimes a dilemma between safety and economics: a Captain has the responsibility for the safety of a flight but may be blamed by management if he or she is thought to have taken a commercially detrimental decision. If a pilot succumbs to commercial pressure and as a result is involved in an incident, he cannot, in law, defend his position by saying that the company pressured him to take the actions that he did. Some pilots find this dilemma difficult on a day to day basis<<

You may download the full report at:

http://www.icon-consulting.com/study...s/reportv2.pdf

I suggest, that like me, you fully read the report. It would also aid this debate if you passed a copy to your airline management and posted their views here.