PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Herc Driver's Report on Katrina Rescue Ops
Old 11th Sep 2005, 15:26
[email protected]

Received 629 Likes on 272 Posts
Tam, my remark about mediocrity was not directed to the rescue operation but, as EESDL realised, a general criticism of the often unjustified superiority professed by the American nation.
The TV in UK showed a bunch of 'rescue and recovery' workers arguing that they were not responsible for getting bodies out of the water - some of them just ignored the reporter when asked pointed questions about the issue - this was a time when all the rescuing had been done. I have no issue with flying past or ignoring corpses when there is life to be saved but when that is done someone has to do the recovery - and yes, even as an armchair hero I have zipped corpses into body bags and carried them into the aircraft.
There was extensive footage of the exodus from New Orleans and nowhere did they use the opposite side of the carriageway - it can't all have been damaged by an oil rig.
I am sure that the aviation community has responded professionally and done a superb job - I'm not so sure about some of the ground units but I can only go on what I see on TV.

Sasless - I reckon the UK SAR force does about that many in a year but quantity doesn't mean quality. I believe the USCG favours the basket because it reduces the number of crew in a fairly underpowered helicopter - I just think it's a crap way of rescuing people if you have a choice but it beats not rescuing them.
I'm not going to defend disaster planning in UK - it all comes down to money and, just as in NO, if the perceived risk is not high, then no-one will spend the money, no matter how many reports and recommendations are made.