Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2005, 13:29
delta3
Passion Flying Hobby Science Sponsor Work

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astro Versus Raven

I have flown the Astro / Raven I and now the II

As for as hydraulics is concerned the progress is noticable, and especially the Raven II flies really very smooth, and despite of some concerns (see other tracks), the II is faster AND more economic than the I, for the profiles I fly.

Of course does that make it worth the price difference, that will depend on the pricise differences and your priorities.

I agree that, without hydraulics things do not look so good. Recently a passenger hit the switch, and at first it really looks that controls are frozen.

The 24V, makes starting better, but as said creates some practical problems, even for some accesories that only work of 12V.

Finally as far as the battery location is concerned, I was told it depends on the instrument package and the resulting balance. Having it in the back makes jump starting a lot easier..

One other small point, flying light in turbulent weather in the II is more unpleasant, I think because of the greater rotor. That makes me take extra weight if relocating with little fuel and just 1 POB in turbulent weather (Mistral area).

d3