PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2005, 11:11
Jonp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two penny's worth

I have an Astro, and have flown many Ravens, including clippers.

I think the Astro is a fine machine (I would say that), but a Raven is of course better, but you end up paying more.

The Astro needs to have the track and balance set up well, then she really flies well. I like, when possible to do this in conjunction with the engineers, and it typically takes a few hours to do properly. at £55 per hour, its worth investing in to get it right, and a 'OK' setup, compared with a 'well' setup machine makes them worlds apart. They fly really well when 'right'

The Electric cyclic trim also needs to be calibrated correctly, but again if done, you can get it pretty good. There is more feedback through the cyclic, and the is a slight sort of delay, over say an R22 or Hydraulic Raven, but you simply get used to it, like any difference in a machine. In normal forward flight, there are virtually no differences, and you spend more time doing this than anything else (unless you are Dennis Kenyon!). In the hover, and low level manouvering, like quickstops, pirouettes, etc, then the sligth heaviness, takes a little getting used to, especially in significant winds.

Having an Astro, you can tell the difference MAUW, which of course is slightly better. I haven't noticed the battery in the nose on the Raven that much and I weigh 75kg, which is quite light

Calendar over here in the UK is 2200 for both engine and airframe. There is an 'intermediate' 12 year calendar review you can do, which means stripping the whole machine apart, which I am led to believe is about £20-£25k, so if your TT hours are quite low, its worth doing.

Again, at the end of the day, its about finances. I couldn't afford a Raven, but was extremely happy with my Astro. If i had the money, of course I would go for the later machine, but then, I would also go for a turbine...

Set out your budget. Have a survey carried out and buy a good machine. ANY helicopter is wonderful, and buy within your price bracket.

The Astro is a very nice machine, if setup well.

Hope that helps.

Jonp

PS: If anyone wants a really nice Astro, mine is available today at £69,000 - that's cheaper than most R22's. ([email protected])