PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2005, 06:49
chopperpug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R44's

You might also find that they started mounting the battery in the nose. Bit more of a hassle when you want to jump start them though. Don't know if all Ravens had this nose mounted battery though. Makes quite a difference to the way that they fly, especially solo pilot wise, if you are only just over that minimum weight. The Astro is a bit more of a handful with just me in it going to some of our tight little bush pads. seems it always wants to slide backwards off that groundcushion, where the raven sits a little more level. I know the Clippers also have the battery in the nose, and with the floats they are a lot more nose heavy. The Astros have a 12 year life, with 2000 on the engine and 2200 on the airframe. You can get an extension over here for the engine, but the machine can only be used for Aerial work, not charter if it is running on the extension.
Oh..and give me an Astro any day.. except for that damn trim motor. The Astros are the work horse for a 44. That extra weight that you get with the Hydraulics does make a real difference when you at MAUW in ISA + 25 - 30 (Thats in *C) thats another few kilos that can make all the difference, and out in the bush its one less thing to worry about, and carry around fluid for.
But i wouldn't say no to a new Raven II if anybody is offering.........

Last edited by chopperpug; 11th Sep 2005 at 07:02.