PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An Honest & Uncensored Debate About Jet2
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2005, 00:40
Trip Switch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd Skipper, dear chap.

The reason for the concern regarding the APU policy is that unfortunately not everyone who works around the aircraft (ground handlers, caterers, fuellers etc.) has the required understanding of the potential danger that a running engine poses. (For 'engine', read 'bloody great Hoover').

A few months ago, after taxiing onto stand and having shut down the No.2 engine, one of our less aware ground handlers thought he was being helpful by moving the steps into position at L1 whilst his colleagues were still trying to connect the GPU. On a dark evening, when there were 6 or 7 handlers running around the front of the aircraft, it was purely by the grace of God that I even spotted this chap, only a few feet from the No. 1 engine (still running and sucking furiously - er... that's the engine, not the handler) and moving even closer. Much leaning out of the window, pointing and shouting quickly followed.

He meant no harm and genuinely thought he was trying to help, but nearly ended up as a bowl of chips with ketchup, ten feet further back. It still makes me shivver. I hope this has at least in part gone some way in explaining why you keep hearing that "someone will get killed". I'm sure others will have similar tales.

Even so, I have no particular problem with the APU policy and accept that I must remain highly vigilant until both engines are shut down. However, I also reserve the right to file an ASR when things are not safe.... as little or as often as that may be.

Nice point about the reality of threads like this. If someone is honestly going to base their career decisions on a couple of postings from people they know nothing about, wwwweeeeellllll......... Best of luck to them

Kindest regards

Trippy

Last edited by Trip Switch; 11th Sep 2005 at 21:52.