PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An Honest & Uncensored Debate About Jet2
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2005, 17:01
Odd Skipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't been in the Airline business long - FO with Jet2 - (ignore stupid ID, it's impossible to get name you want).

I may not know many other Airlines, or have a great deal of flight experience.
However I have worked in commercially pressurised positions, and considering the money payed out in the Airlines, do not feel that Aircrew, or Captains have such a tough time.

Go and have a look in any other industry at a Management position earning £60K and find me someone who only works the relatively short hours we do. 9-5 ******** - they work 8 to 8 minimum, usually later and sometimes weekends too.

Fatigue and Safety in this Industry are obviously important, and should never be ignored, but should also never be used as an excuse to complain if they are not genuinely an issue.

My personal belief is that all employees should look for continuous improvement within their company. Too many people I've seen so far look for ways to stop others improvements (to balance this, I have seen many others actively working very hard to achieve savings, meet slots and times).

EG this APU SOP. I've heard a dozen times "someone will get killed" - please could someone explain how this will happen? As you've all said that the Management doesn't understand, well neither do I - please explain the exact danger. So far the only problems I've witnessed with this are the GPU tripping out, resulting in APU start and a 2 min delay.

APU use at Captain's discression - seen many Captain's decide to use the APU for various reason's (heat, GPU from airbridge or unknown reliability of GPU), none to my knowledge (and I'm sure they'd mention it during the six hours we spend together) have received any mention from the Management.

The Pay and Conditions granted are not the best in the Industry - but doesn't the grass always look greener!! - Heard two people mention Thomson as an unpleasant environment. But I wouldn't use a few people's advice stop me applying to them if I was thinking of joining them, I'd reserach it a bit more in depth.

In fact that's probably the main reason I posted here, just to give one more person's view.

I await my flaming as an inexperienced pilot - but not an inexperienced human being .

Last edited by Odd Skipper; 10th Sep 2005 at 18:55.