PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reduced power take-off's in King Air and other turbo-props.
Old 10th Sep 2005, 13:57
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
My understanding is that the RFDS at Essendon use the technique of using slightly less than full power than max on take off in order to minimise the possibility of inadvertent exceedance of full power. On the face of it this sounds a reasonable argument. But really, this is only a bastardised form of reduced thrust take off without the formal use of a runway analysis presentation.

If an engine fails and rudder is used (of course) to stop further yaw, then by increasing power on the live engine back to that additional torque, the yaw will be increased and could catch the unwary. One presumes of course that CASA has approved the policy described above. If so, the buck stops there - maybe?

Let's face it, the whole business of not using the manufacturer's recommended technique in this case could be perfectly safe on nice long runways, but although I am not licenced on type, I find it hard to imagine it being a manufacture's recommendation. If that is correct, then as Gaunty pointed out, watch out for the legal fraternity who would quickly swoop if there was an accident in which reduced throttle setting may be a factor.