PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EOSID when to follow?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2005, 12:56
FlexibleResponse

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
John Tullamarine and De Havilland Driver,
I thought your posts were excellent.

For some reason Popay seems to be worried about other people doing their jobs properly and possibly (and worryingly) at the expense of doing his correctly. For some reason he thinks that ATC doesn’t know about EOSIDs of individual airlines. He may well be right for his airline.

However, I might just note for what it is worth, that I believe that any reputable airline’s Navigation/Planning/ Performance/Fight Ops or whatever Department will ensure that each and every ATC facility at each and every Port will have the full details of that reputable airline’s EOSIDs (and special EOSIDs if applicable) for each runway and aircraft type operated by said reputable airline.

I was trained and I subsequently trained my poor subjects that in the event of an engine failure on departure, after ensuring control of the aircraft is established and the immediate actions is accomplished, to notify ATC of the emergency status of the aircraft and add such words as “…engine failure, we are following the EOSID”. ATC can then carry out whatever actions that might be necessary to facilitate the EOSID such as get rid of any conflicting traffic.

Also, ATC having full knowledge of the consequences of an engine failure including EOSID rerouting on departure will allow for those factors before issuing a takeoff clearance.

The rules of flying have been very elegantly designed to protect pilots as the result of intensive and extensive thought processes in the light of thousands of man-years of experience, including the analysis of many incidents and accidents over many years.

But we as pilots must follow the rules to enjoy that protection.

Last edited by FlexibleResponse; 10th Sep 2005 at 13:21.