PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Atlantic Tracks
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2005, 04:08
xfeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Atlantic Tracks

Hello everyone,

I am interested in getting some information from pilots who fly across the North Atlantic on a regular basis, in particular, your clearance along a track, position reports and radio work.

First, what is a typical example of the clearance you ask for, i.e., what information is exchanged?

Next, when do you ask for this clearance? I believe that during clearance delivery at the gate you are given your track (although you probably knew it before Delivery gave it to you) for your route, if I remember correctly. Is there a certain point that you would call for clearance such as 10 minutes prior to entering?

Finally, during the track do you have to give a position report at every waypoint or every 30 minutes or so? I assume you are on SELCAL during this time so I am interested in what sort of handoffs you may get during the NATS. Is there a typical frequency you are all tuned to over the Atlantic such as 123.45?

Many years ago (pre-2001) I flew up front with my father on a trip to New York from LHR but I was a teenager at that time and didn't take as much interest in the technical/radio side of things as I do now. Sadly, my father is no longer around and my PPL instructor has no idea of what you commercial chaps are up to.

I appreciate your responses.

Cheers!