PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Hobby' Aerial photography business
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2005, 21:02
pinkpilot150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Hobby' Aerial photography business

I would like to set up a 'hobby' business doing aerial photography. I am part way through my CPL and have a share in a suitable aircraft. I have some experience doing aerial photography and have all the right equipment and lots of enthusiasm.

I have done enough research (and trawling the almost incomprehensible ANO) to tell me if I were to 'employ' a CPL/ATPL pilot to fly me round (and I take the photo's) - this is classed as both 'Aerial Work' and 'Public Transport' - and the later means that I need to have an Air Operators Certificate - which even when you own your own aircraft is difficult and expensive and really means some serious commitment.

However, if I fly myself in my own aircraft (when I eventually get my CPL), is it legal for me to then 'employ' somebody to take the photo's as a paid passenger?

I understand how the former translates into the 'Public Transport' cat, as effectivley, I woud be paying to be carried as a passenger in the aircraft. The latter however, would seem to be possible, and would remain in the 'Private' category (although still Aerial work requiring a CPL pilot), but it would mean that I would no need an AOC?

Has anybody else looked into this and am I interpreting the ANO correctly?

Cheers