PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saab 340 and pressurisation
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2005, 19:56
Self Loading Freight
None but a blockhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab 340 and pressurisation

What ho..

Is the Saab 340 normally flown pressurised or not?

I flew from Kirkwall to Edinburgh today on a BA/LoganAir Saab 340. This is my second flight on one of these, and as on the outward journey last week (which was the first) there was no depressurisation drill in the flight safety briefing - no mention of masks, in other words. I assumed on the way out that this was because the cabin wasn't pressurised, although I noticed that there were what appeared to be O2 outlets in the ceiling. Last time I was in something similar (a Metroliner - which would have been more appropriate for the Orkney run, as you can't stand up in a chambered cairn either), we had notices on the back of the seats and a quick run through by the stew about how to whip out the masks and plug 'em in.

On this return trip, though, Captain Speaking mentioned at one point that we were at 12,000 feet. Last time I looked, this was high enough to cause some hypoxia problems for some people.

So: were we pressurised (in which case, why no mask drill?) or were we not (in which case, was it safe for all pax)? Is it that we were low enough to get back to a safe altitude quickly enough without the need for O2?

R