PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 29th May 2001, 23:19
Flying Lawyer

I'd highly recommend Chuck Street ("Commander Chuck") at Fullerton.
I flew with him for a week in 1997, and gained a great deal of useful experience operating the JetRanger - and also had a wonderful time.
Chuck knows those with JetRanger ratings want to do more than just fly around straight and level for three hours - we did lots of pinnacle and confined area landings in between broadcasts and when taking breaks.
Fullerton is a little off the beaten track, not far from the Knott's Berry Farm theme park, but Chuck flies all over the LA area, up to Malibu in the North and down to Orange County in the South.
If you go, make sure you land at the LAX helipad which is on the roof of a building near the Control Tower. The approach is unusual - and the departure (low level to the Ocean) is spectacular.
If you're lucky, you'll get the odd Police chase to follow. Resist the temptation to try to follow too closely what's happening on the ground - the airspace around you will suddenly be filled not only with law enforcement helicopters, but every other news helicopter in the area trying to get the best shot. It gets busy!
I flew both the (early) morning and evening shifts, and did 26 hours in the week. It was a good learning experience, enormous fun, and I'd recommend it.

[This message has been edited by Flying Lawyer (edited 29 May 2001).]